Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Save Thacher Park

My favorite memory of walking the edge of the escarpment of Thacher Park was the day after Thanksgiving in 2001. Nothing had been normal about that holiday thanks to 9/11. But I will never forget how many fathers we met walking with their wives and children that day. It reminded me that for those youngsters, 2001 might be remembered as much for the time that their families learned how to become closer and happier walking the trails of Thacher Park.

A few questions I'm going to ask my reps: Has there been any planning in regards to Thacher Park after closure? If it is to be left wild, then for how long? How will this affect the communities around it? Their safety issues, their economies? What are the plans regarding the park's reopening? Will it cost more to reopen Thacher Park then was saved by closing it in the first place? Or is this all a prelude to the state divesting itself of public parks entirely?

No comments: